Organizing the Ministry of Community and Cultural Affairs
EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. _____
Organizing the Ministry of Community and Cultural Affairs – Executive Branch of the Government of the Republic of Palau
WHEREAS, Sections 2 and 5 of Article VIII of the Constitution of the Republic of Palau and 2 PNC §103 provide for a Presidential Cabinet consisting of the Vice President and the Ministers who are appointed by the President with advice and consent of the Senate of the Olbiil Era Kelulau; and
WHEREAS, Section 7 of Article VIII of the Palau Constitution grants the President all the inherent powers and duties of a national chief executive, including, but not limited to enforcing the law of the land; and
WHEREAS, 2 PNC § 102 establishes eight Ministries within the Executive Branch of the Government of the Republic of Palau; and
WHEREAS, 2 PNC § 109 directs the President to provide for the subdivisions of the Ministries and to prescribe their duties, responsibilities and functions by Executive Orders; and
WHEREAS, 2 PNC § 110 empowers the President by Executive Orders to establish offices and agencies within the Executive Branch and to prescribe their duties, responsibilities and functions so as to assist the President, the Vice President and the Ministers in the performance of their duties, responsibilities and functions; and
WHEREAS, a series of Executive Orders have organized the Executive Branch of the Government of the Republic of Palau since the establishment of the Constitutional Government of the Republic of Palau on January 1, 1981, most recently Executive Order No. 203 and its addendums; and
WHEREAS, in order to provide clarity and to ensure efficiency and the effective delivery and execution of government services, the President has determined that the Ministry of Community and Cultural Affairs within the Executive Branch of the Government of the Republic of Palau must be reorganized;
NOW, THEREFORE, by virtue of the authority vested in the President by Article VIII of the Constitution of the Republic of Palau and the aforementioned laws, the President orders that Executive Order No. 203, and all addendums thereto, as such apply to the Ministry of Community and Cultural Affairs, are hereby repealed and replaced by this Executive Order—all other Executive Orders and Presidential or Administrative Directives organizing the Ministry of Community and Cultural Affairs within the Executive Branch of the National Government of the Republic of Palau being amended or repealed to the extent that such are specifically or by necessary implication amended or repealed hereby—and hereby organizes the Ministry of Community and Cultural Affairs within the Executive Branch of the National Government of the Republic of Palau as follows:
PART I. MINISTRY OF COMMUNITY AND CULTURAL AFFAIRS
The Ministry of Community and Cultural Affairs shall be headed by a Minister. The Ministry shall be responsible for the development and promotion of cultural and historical resources, including museum facilities, the maintenance of the National Archives, the management and development of park and recreational facilities and programs, including the coordination, assistance and support of the Palau National Olympic Committee (“PNOC”), the management and development of social welfare programs, including programs for families, youth, gender equality and senior citizens, and the administration of the Palau Severely Disabled Assistance Fund. The Minister shall coordinate the programs of the Ministry with appropriate authorities, boards and commissions, international conventions and entities and coordinate and cooperate with the Rubekul Belau and Mechesil Belau as appropriate. The Minister shall be responsible for the performance of the duties and functions of the following bureaus, divisions and offices.
Section 1. Bureau of National Archives. The Bureau of National Archives shall be headed by an Archivist. The Bureau shall be the national repository for public records of the Republic transferred thereto or acquired by the Archivist and shall be responsible for the preservation of all such records. The Archivist shall be charged with the maintenance, custody, control and administration of the public records, the public’s access thereto, and the performance of all other duties prescribed by Chapter 4 of Title 19 of the Palau National Code.
Section 2. Bureau of Youth, Sports and Recreation. The Bureau of Youth, Sports and Recreation shall be headed by a Director. The Bureau shall be responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of remedial programs; for developing, formulating, identifying and establishing short-term and long–term goals, objectives and guidelines for youth’s concerns, recreation activities and programs; and for formulating programs and activities that promote youth development and traditional values. The Bureau shall be responsible for the performance of the duties and functions of the following divisions.
A. Division of Youth. The Division of Youth shall be headed by a Chief. The Division shall be responsible for developing, initiating, coordinating and supporting youth development programs, as well as organizing and coordinating youth fairs or other national festivities involving youth, supporting regional and international youth related programs, and shall perform the following duties and functions:
(1) Identify problems facing Palau’s youth, such as unemployment, substance abuse and poor school attendance, and develop and establish short-term and long-term strategic programs to address the identified problems, including those identified in the youth policy;
(2) Develop and implement youth development summer programs to address non-formal education skills or knowledge;
(3) Organize, coordinate and publicize youth programs and activities, including sports and recreational activities for the National Youth Day celebration;
(4) Coordinate and develop appropriate program plans with key stakeholders to address youth problems and needs, and be the focal point for youth related programs;
(5) Seek out additional funds and technical assistance to enhance and promote the development of youth; and
(6) Serve, in conjunction with other relevant entities, as the national repository of youth related data.
B. Division of Sports and Recreation. The Division of Sports and Recreation shall be headed by a Chief. The Division shall be responsible for initiating, developing, coordinating and supporting sports and recreational programs, maintaining sports facilities, and shall perform the following duties:
(1) Identify and document traditional sports and recreational activities and develop, establish short-terms and long-terms strategic plans to implement and promote such activities;
(2) Coordinate with the PNOC and other Palau sports federations in conducting sports programs and activities;
(3) Assist the state governments, public and private institutions, organizations, associations and agencies in the Republic that are involved in sports and recreational programs and activities; and
(4) Develop, coordinate, implement and promote traditional recreation activities that support traditional values.
Section 3. Bureau of Aging and Gender. The Bureau of Aging and Gender shall be headed by a Director. The Bureau shall coordinate programs, projects and events relating to senior citizens, both women and men. The Bureau shall be responsible for the performance of the duties and functions of the following divisions.
(A) Division of Senior Citizens. The Division of Senior Citizens shall be headed by a Chief, The Division shall be responsible for enhancing the well-being of senior citizens, including:
(1) Planning social activities with relevant agencies;
(2) Providing minimum nutritional needs;
(3) Providing income earning opportunities;
(4) Providing transportation services;
(5) Maintaining, promoting and transferring traditional knowledge and skills to the younger generation; and
(6) In conjunction with other relevant entities, operating the Senior Citizens’ Applied Arts Center.
B. Division of Gender. The Division of Gender shall be headed by a Chief. The Division shall perform the following duties:
(1) Conduct a needs assessment survey to identify gender equality needs, assess and develop programs to address such needs and mitigate against gender inequality;
(2) Coordinate with appropriate local entities and facilitate the development of a National Gender Policy to correlate with the Convention on Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination Against Women, focusing on gender sensitive policies applicable to Palau;
(3) Serve as the focal point on gender matters for national, regional & international entities;
(4) Establish a database for reporting gender equality issues;
(5) Collaborate with state governments, identify resource people in the community, and establish “Life Skills Centers”; and
(6) Coordinate with appropriate local entities on all matters relating to gender.
Section 4. Bureau of Arts and Culture. The Bureau of Arts and Culture shall be headed by a Director. The Bureau shall coordinate projects, programs and activities with those of the Belau National Museum. The Bureau shall be responsible for the performance of the duties and functions of the following divisions.
A. Division of Cultural Affairs. The Division of Culture Affairs shall be headed by a Chief. The Division shall be responsible for the implementation of Chapter 1 of Title 19 of the Palau National Code, the “Historical and Cultural Preservation Act”, and other applicable laws, and also shall perform the following duties and responsibilities.
(1) Oral History and Ethnography. Work with the Society of Historians to identify, document and implement Palau’s oral history and ethnography; i.e., Palau’s oral histories, cultural knowledge and expressions of culture and practices, in order to preserve, enhance and promote the same through research and publications.
(2) Palau Register of Historic Places. Establish and maintain a “Palau Registry of Historic Places”, nominate and register potentially eligible sites to the Registry, maintain the Bureau’s reference library, and conduct reviews of projects relating to the restoration and development of Registered Sites.
(3) Archaeology, Survey and Inventory. Implement applicable parts of Title 19 of the Palau National Code, and of the United States National Historic Preservation Act; safeguard and document historic and cultural properties in Palau; and conduct historical clearance review processing.
(4) Public Education. Foster public education and awareness of Palau’s historical and cultural heritage; provide guided site visits to students, the public and visitors; produce bi-annual newsletter; conduct various publicity campaigns, educational workshops, conferences, and symposiums.
B. Division of Arts. The Division of Arts shall be headed by a Chief. The Division shall perform the following duties in the area of arts; i.e., music; dance; applied arts such as carving, weaving, jewelry, pottery, culinary, and fashion design; literary arts; visual arts; and photography and videography and others; at all levels.
(1) Document contemporary, cultural and traditional arts;
(2) Promote arts in the community through education and community-based organizations;
(3) Coordinate with local and overseas entities dealing with arts; and
(4) Seek funding to establish a Palau National Art Gallery and a Belau Federation of Arts.
PART II. EFFECTIVE DATE.
This Executive Order shall take effect immediately and shall remain in force and effect until amended or repealed.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my official seal this _____ day of August, 2009.
Entry filed under: Informational.